Going to Normandy...again!

Non-modelling related topics. Keep discussions civil. Flaming and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Going to Normandy...again!

Post by Philipp Gross »

Yep, it's time again. Starting next Saturday I'll be off to the beaches and bocages for two weeks.

If you have any requests or suggestions I'll be happy to hear them :) I'll have my family with me so I can't go on a non stop military history rampage, but I'll see what I can do :lol:

The place has free wifi so I'll be able to keep in touch with the 3-4 of you who are still around :P I might even attempt to post regular updates on the stuff we've visited.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Olivier Carneau
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Going to Normandy...again!

Post by Olivier Carneau »

Just a suggestion, drop the family at a Calvados or a Camembert factory and have fun at the beaches :lol:
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Always good to get your reports and updates, Philipp

How many years have you been going to Normandy now?

Is there anything left for you to see?

Villers-Bocage?

Enjoy your holiday, are you taking a holiday build, A la Everett?

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Olivier Carneau wrote:Just a suggestion, drop the family at a Calvados or a Camembert factory and have fun at the beaches :lol:
Who says I wouldn't be interested in that too? :lol:

Seriously though, right in the middle of the "Camembert country" lies Vimoutiers, and we all know what awaits us there :mrgreen:
Steve Hutchinson wrote:Always good to get your reports and updates, Philipp

How many years have you been going to Normandy now?
It's only the second time, the last trip was 2013. I'll try to keep you updated once I'm there. ;)
Steve Hutchinson wrote:Is there anything left for you to see?

Villers-Bocage?
Oh, plenty.... a few things of note I missed last time are the war museums/memorials at Bayeux and Caen and the various stuff behind Omaha Beach. Both the museum and the cemeteries are on the long list of things I missed last time.

I don't think Villers-Bocage would be that interesting. Everything has been rebuilt in that dull post-war style and besides that I'm not really a Wittmann fanboy. However we want to explore the southern part this time (all glory to the Camembert!) so we might pass through there by accident... :roll:
Steve Hutchinson wrote:Enjoy your holiday, are you taking a holiday build, A la Everett?

Steve H

Last time I had a Hetzer with me, turned out I didn't need it because I could keep myself busy with relating the news back home through the internet....and also Anthony Beevor's excellent book on the Normandy campaign.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Excellent! Have fun over there Philipp and please do keep us informed about your adventures. :D

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks Vincent!

Time for the first update...

Day 0:

800 kilometres to Normandy via Cologne, Aachen, Liège, Mons, Cambrai, Amiens and Le Havre. Lots of well-known places if you're familiar with 20th Century history. We took a little detour through the Somme battlefields, passing dozens of memorials and cemetaries. I didn't take photos since we were running a little late already. Most exhausting birthday I've had in a while...

Day 1:

Still utterly exhausted we kept things simple and went to Pegasus Bridge, only to end up in a huge traffic jam as the bridge was open for about an hour to let dozens of sailing boats pass. Might have had something to do with the wacky adventures of a Norman Duke 950 years ago... :roll:

Pegasus Bridge is still the only connection between the eastern and western part of Normandy between Caen and the sea and it shows...

The Centaur tank located next to the Bridge has been relocated to the Museum on the other bank, now there is a Bofors gun as its replacement. Cloudy weather and too many people around to take proper photos, but I'll get there again...

Day 2:

We went further east to Honfleur on the Seine estuary, which pretty much looks like some 50's era pirate movie film set, except for the fact that it's all real:

Quite a sight to behold...

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Nice pics for Day 1 Philipp. Thanks for sharing. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks Vincent :)

Day 3:
Went south to explore the Route du Cidre. I'll just leave this here :P

Day 4:
Another visit to Pegasus Bridge, this time with more time to visit the museum and its surroundings. Took a ton of photos, here's a little preview:

The Centaur that once stood next to the Bridge has been cosmetically restored and is now on display inside the museum. Good to see her taken care of, though a complete disassembly and in-depht renovation would have been preferrable.

Day 5:

Went exploring in the dunes around Merville-Franceville east of the Orne and stumbled across a few large Bunkers:

And beyond that, hidden from sight by thorny shrubs, quite a surprise:

That's the Redoubte de Merville, a fortress based on a Vauban design erected in 1779 to protect the Orne estuary against British invaders... It was closed, but a peek through a gap next to the main entrance revealed a few latter-day upgrades:

Day 6:
Lots of rain. Lots of wind. Combine both to get horizontal rain and broken umbrellas. Took refuge in a local bar and found out that Delirium Tremens is an excellent Belgian beer. :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Yngve Sjodin

Post by Yngve Sjodin »

Nice pics,looks like you had a great trip:)
"One man's garbage is another man person's good ungarbage" - Ricky , Sunnyvale Trailer Park

www.hobbyhistorica.com

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Still having it :lol:

Only the first week is over, we'll stay another one. We're still planning to visit Bayeux and Omaha Beach, among other things.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns: