Meanwhile in Yemen...

Information, images, links etc that will be useful for model makers. Please be mindful of any copyright and acknowledge owner of images etc wherever possible.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Meanwhile in Yemen...

Post by Philipp Gross »

...another bloody war is raging, mostly overlooked by western media. And in the middle of it all we see a T-34 and a SU-100:

http://www.uskowioniran.com/2015/04/wwi ... yemen.html

Quite fascinating to see these veterans still in use.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Re: Meanwhile in Yemen...

Post by John Everett »

Whoa! I guess, just like an airplane, so long as it sees regular use and has a supply of replacement parts, there's no reason you can't drive it for centuries.

Having lived a couple years next door to Yemen, I can see why the Saudis as well as other GCC (oil producing arab states) nations are working to smash rebel groups there. The country has never been stable or well governed. The current climate only intensifies fear of an ISIS style army moving outwards from Yemen into the UAE, Oman and the Southern Saudi desert.

I wouldn't doubt at all that the US and other western allies have quietly placed considerable military resources along the borders of affected GCC nations. The drive from Sanaa to Dubai or Muscat would only take a couple of days......even in an old Soviet Era tank.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I guess you might have some problems these days with manufacturer certified replacement parts :lol:

Unless you can install a new gun, getting usable 85mm ammo would probably be the greatest issue. The rifling might also be worn down after all these years. If I remember correctly the SU-100 gun is mostly identical to those used on the T-55, so ammo shouldn't be much of a problem for a while.

As for the political issues at hand...I guess we can all agree by now that maintaining stability in the middle east at almost any cost has become the most important objective... :?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Philipp - Thanks for that - It's really quite amazing :shock:

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding