Paint advice

Information and questions about modelling techniques to create that masterpiece.
Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Paint advice

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

I currently use Lifecolor paint and have been looking at Ammo products as they seem to be wheedling their way into everything at the moment.

So what are they like? do you need to thin them, how cost effective are they? any advice would be great.
Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Re: Paint advice

Post by Rob Matthews »

Hi Vlad _ I Love them, love them,I Love them - I really want to have their babies :D . Great Colours - great coverage - spray better than Vallejo IMHO. I Like the ball bearings - they do need to be shaken well. I dilute with Mig Ammo specific thinner (Paint 3 : Thinner 1). The primers are excellent too. I still use /lifecolour for tarps and uniforms due to its very matt quality - most of the Mig Ammo colours dry to a satin sheen. It's all I've used for my last few builds.

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

You like em then Rob :D

Just to throw into the mix, have you tried the AK acrylics? And how do they compare to Ammo?
You mentioned Vallejo, I've not had too much in the way of problems with them, in fact my AB seems to work well with the formula. It struggles with Lifecolor, but I like the brand.
Completed Campaigns:

Chris Smith
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Chris Smith »

Some of the colour mixes seem to be off ie the British WWII paints but they spray really nicely.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

@ Vlad: Vlad I use Vallejo Model Air, AK, Lifecolor and Mig Ammo. I had some probelms with AK paints - some colours were mis-marked and I had some finishes difficulties - probably me not them, I do believe thought that Mig Ammo come from a different manufacturer. Mig Ammo are certainly worth using with the new Flow enhancer and are perfectly fine. I've chosen not to bother further with AK - Mig Ammo reproduce all they do and more and you know my thoughts. Mike Starmer of Brit Colour erudition and fame was pretty scathing about the Mig Ammo Brit colours being accurate, as Chris says :? :?

If i was starting afresh - to rationalise purchasing I would any newcomer to concentrate on one line and that would be Mig Ammo. And to thoroughly contradict that I've taken delivery of a "Hataka" Brit colour set that originate from Poland and are new kids on the block. Reviews of their aircraft colours have been positive. I've yet to try them but they well be an alternative or complimentary to Mig Ammo. It's notable that Takom and Trumpeter are now citing Mig Ammo paints in their colour profiles that are co-credited.

And regarding Brit Colours specifically I am aware that "DOA" paints exist though I've yet to try them

However you look at it - choice has never been so great :D

Rob
Last edited by Rob Matthews on 11 Oct 2015, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

I have looked at the DOA paints, they look quite good on colour, but how they are to use I couldn't comment. I might give the Ammo range a try.

I have stopped fighting against painting and finishing recently and am a lot more open to the process, so exploring the different options or brands. Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries.

I've seen the Hataka brand name being mentioned, sometimes not in a positive manner, be interested to hear your opinion.....
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

I'm with Rob. I really like the Ammo range. I have $200.00 worth of Mig items that will hopefully be delivered any day now.. :roll:

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

That's quite an investment Shawn!!! :o they must be good!
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Like Shawn and Rob I really like the Ammo paints too Vlad. They are easy to use which is a big plus for me and they have a paint for everything, and when i say everything, I mean everything. ;) If you haven't noticed, they release new sets so often it's hard to keep up.
Give them a go Vlad, you'll be glad you did. :D

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Just bit the bullet and ordered a small quantity to give em a try.
Completed Campaigns: