Economical or just cheap

Information and questions about modelling techniques to create that masterpiece.
Edmund Forsythe

Economical or just cheap

Post by Edmund Forsythe »

Check this out . A while ago I made this work as a drill / grinder . It works does a great job . Well it was a shoddy conversion and the the power wire just kept breaking . So I went of and got another one , all I had to modify was the collet nut . Made it a bit larger to accept the shafts of the dremmel attachments and for 7 bucks and some odd change is definitely cheap and it works . Look for one with free shipping . It's light and easy to hold . Just have to keep it out of view . If the old lady sees it I'm probably going to lose it . It's great for doing the lady's nails .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.47 KiB) Viewed 2721 times

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Re: Economical or just cheap

Post by John Everett »

Probably a good choice for lightweight model work. But I also use my Dremel for heavy torque cutting and grinding around the house.

Consider your lightweight fingernail cutter as a temporary measure. When you've got the money, go all in for a variable speed rotary tool. Get the big one so as to dissuade the wife from borrowing it.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Edmund Forsythe

You rich folks got everything . Wait till you have trouble holding on to things then you'll see how much the weights factor in .

Edmund Forsythe

And that's variable sped also .

Edmund Forsythe

98 links per side . Why quibble two hundred links two holes need to be drilled in each link . This is why the Tristar panzer IV links were so weak . the opening for the pins were not there . Wonder if Trumpeter will fix that when they release the Tristar again ?
Attachments
017.jpgsave.jpg
017.jpgsave.jpg (162.24 KiB) Viewed 2684 times

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Been there, done that, someone on Face Book actually said the holes were too round and not authentic!

I guess there are always rivet counters wherever you roam :lol: :lol:

It cathartic, enjoy ;)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Edmund Forsythe

You want to hear something funny , well after I got the drill bit tightened it was not drilling . Took a hard look and the motor was running backwards . Rats , take it apart swap the wires going to the motor and it finally works and drills instead of just melting the plastic . I would like to say great Chinese quality control , if it works ship it out the door . It was made in Taiwan not China .

Edmund Forsythe

Steve Hutchinson wrote:Been there, done that, someone on Face Book actually said the holes were too round and not authentic!

I guess there are always rivet counters wherever you roam :lol: :lol:

It cathartic, enjoy ;)

Steve H
They can actually see that in 1/35 scale ? It was not the guys from armorama was it ?

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

a) It's always an economical solution, never a cheap one! I have a dirt-cheap (ah, now I broke my own rule: a dirt-economical) Mannesmann rotary tool and it works perfectly fine, no reason why your solution shouldn't :D .

b) Never mind the rivet counters. They are usually the same guys who strangely enough haven't finished or posted anything whatsoever. I'm a "variable rivet counter" I know the ins and outs of a StuG, the modifications that a certain date of a version made by a certain manufacturer require. However I would never ever presume to beat someone over the head with my knowledge because I think he's doing something wrong. That would be what I suppose you anglophones call a "dick-move" :lol: . Especially given the fact that I know really next to nothing about M4s, but I occasionally build one... probably with all the wrong rivet numbers on the wrong locations for the wrong manufacturer in the wrong time frame! :lol:
They can actually see that in 1/35 scale ? It was not the guys from armorama was it ?
:lol:
It was made in Taiwan not China
I you don't like the government of the Peoples Republic of China, feel free to refer to it as "made in China" anyway and when told it's wrong you correct them by mentioning it's made in the Republic of China :lol: .
"How to be politically insensible 101 - By Raoul G. Kunz" :lol:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Hi Chaps

My Cheap nail art rotary tool has a reverse switch and works well both ways. The selection of different tools were also very cheap and work very well.

I have other more torque'y tools for yard and household work, this is my model tool and as such does an excellent job.

I am hoping it will survive the removal of fenders in its future for my 2016 project

As for the rivet counters it was hollowing out the track horns rather than purchasing "other" tracks, and the hole, still is round rather the "horn" shaped!

It was on Face Book not armourama, though I have read several of the blogs there, which have been contentious and "flaming" to say the least!

member I am, blogger I am not ;)

I shall return to my desk and 50 shades of field grey, 2 down 10 to go, hopefully a few less by the close of play today :D

Sundays are now, by agreement, my day, I just need to shape my inspiration to match the calender too :roll:

To be inspired or not :?

Economics guides or rules us all, I for my part have just ordered my first ever set of Friul tracks, and it is not for a Panzer :shock: ;)

There are also two other Sd.Kfz 250's coming my way from other manufacturers, Airfix and Tamiya, it will be fun one day, soon :?:

Have a productive day all of you.

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage