Using Pigments

Information and questions about modelling techniques to create that masterpiece.
Justin Wooding

Using Pigments

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi chaps,

My KV-2 will be getting a pigment treatment.

How do you find the best way to apply them? Are they better applied to a gloss or matt finish?

Just thought i would raise it here so we can gather some good pigment techniques and keep them easy to find.
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Using Pigments

Post by Philipp Gross »

Generally speaking, pigments won't stick very good on a glossy surface.

For application, I use them either directly from the bottle for a dusty effect or with water for a thicker layer. Water gives you the opportunity to brush off almost everything if you're not happy with it. Once I like the results, I fix it in place with Tamiya thinner or turpentine. If I want to get a damp or wet look, I add a few drops of clear gloss afterwards.

For mud splatters I've experimented with blowing the water/pigment mixture from a thick brush onto the model with the airbrush, but it's still a lot of trial and error.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Thanks Philipp! I like the idea of using water intially, i shall try that.
Woody...

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Vincent Power »

Hi Woody,

Pigments are definately best applied to a matt surface. They can "grip" far better that way. They can be applied dry and produce very realistic dusty and dirty finishes that way. They are also great for getting a faded paint effect. It's best to apply them at the end of your normal weathering process too, because unless you fix them they can rub off with constant handling. Of course, if you fix them be aware that the colour may change. I've found that misting the fixer through my airbrush from a distance achieves the same result without changing the colours too much. The roof of my little Opel car was done that way.

You can also apply pigments wet, sort of like a slushy wash. I generally use the thinners of the manufacturer but thats my personal preference.
Once dry they can be adjusted with more pigment and more thinners until you get the result you like.

I love using them. :D

Hope that helps.

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

Pigments are also handy for shading and highlights. Vinnie used black and brown pigments exclusively for shadows on his figures. I use various green or tan pastels for color shifts on stowage items. The pigment dust is dead flat, so it can be useful in killing a stubborn glossy spot.

Just remember not to attempt to photograph a pigment treated model using a flash. The particles reflect light and give the model a very odd appearance. :shock:
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Vincent and John,

Thanks for the advice, and it's all been taken on board :) Had a play with the new pigments i got and am (i think) happy with what i have achieved. Photos will be in the KV-2 thread.
Woody...

Shaun Symonds

Post by Shaun Symonds »

Hi Woody
I also use mine through the Airbrush either with a little water or dry, sprays on like a really fine dust would in real life.

Shaun
Completed Campaigns: ImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Shaun,

Interesting technique. Is clean up of the airbrush easy enough?
Woody...