Solering tips

Information and questions about modelling techniques to create that masterpiece.
Edmund Forsythe

Solering tips

Post by Edmund Forsythe »

Thank you sir . The solder paste works great , better than the rosin core wire . Seems easier to clean off with the fiber pen . The reason I got them they were cheap a good tool to learn on . They work and they solder . What I find so difficult with these are my hands shake and I have a tendency to just drop what I'm holding . So the open flame worries me maybe that's my phobia .
Attachments
This the next one I tried , the flame is just right , problem with this is every time I turn it upside down the flame would die . Since it was an ebay purchase I ragged out the seller and he sent me another one . Well it did exactly the same thing , flame would go out when inverted . Finally figured out there's an adjustment on the fill valve to take care of the flame going out . It's perfect . Well it's still manual on and off .
This the next one I tried , the flame is just right , problem with this is every time I turn it upside down the flame would die . Since it was an ebay purchase I ragged out the seller and he sent me another one . Well it did exactly the same thing , flame would go out when inverted . Finally figured out there's an adjustment on the fill valve to take care of the flame going out . It's perfect . Well it's still manual on and off .
image.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
I tried this one first , it's actually pretty nice , problem is the flame is too high , this thing will braze a 1/4 dia copper pipe .another drawback is you have to manually light it and turn it off . Too darn hot .
I tried this one first , it's actually pretty nice , problem is the flame is too high , this thing will braze a 1/4 dia copper pipe .another drawback is you have to manually light it and turn it off . Too darn hot .
image.jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 1244 times

Edmund Forsythe

Re: PE Fuel drum SBS

I soldered the two skids with torch , those I had trouble with the soldering iron .
Attachments
008.jpgsaved.jpg
008.jpgsaved.jpg (154.1 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

Edmund Forsythe

Re: PE Fuel drum SBS

The real tiny pieces have to be soldered on .
Attachments
024.jpgsaved.jpg
024.jpgsaved.jpg (143.62 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Solering tips

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

That is some serious soldering Edmund :D

What is the box with skids?

Could you put something next to it for scale, it looks like a real life item, the hinge is so well defined they look full sized

Great to see your soldering when you can get your hands working properly ;)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Edmund Forsythe

It goes on to the sondenanhanger 51 trailer . For 20mm ammo . I believe flak 38 . I just remembered , thanks Gary for moving this over .
Attachments
010.jpgsave.jpg
010.jpgsave.jpg (168.94 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Last edited by Edmund Forsythe on 15 Apr 2015, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.

Edmund Forsythe

Here a couple of things I've learned about doing the hinges . You always anneal them , don't go overboard and get them too soft . Get some some round stock , preferably steel to use as a guide to roll the hinges . You don't have to roll all the fingers of the hinges at the same time . You can do one at a time then line then line them up with your hinge pin . If you have a hold and fold tool that makes rolling hinges easier . There's a penny out there to give you an idea of the size . Why do think I was considering the stereo microscope ?

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

No Edmund

the opposite, it looked like it was a full sized hinged box, not a 1:35 scale brass build.

I have to try to anneal the brass gently, the only attempts I have made, the brass went up in smoke :shock:

Super soldering Edmund :D

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Edmund Forsythe

Use a candle to anneal not the torch . The smaller the pieces the more carefull you have to be . A bic lighter is more than sufficient . They don't call them that anymore do they ? I keep saying you can do if you try .