Question about Vallejo Model Air paint

Information and questions about modelling techniques to create that masterpiece.
Steve Kubik

Question about Vallejo Model Air paint

Post by Steve Kubik »

Who here uses Vallejo Model Air paints? Do these paints need to be thinned before spraying?

I was told that no thinner was needed, yet every time I use them, it clogs up my brush after just 10 seconds.

If thinner is required, what do you use?
Steve Kubik

Edmund Forsythe

Re: Question about Vallejo Model Air paint

Post by Edmund Forsythe »

Try vallejo 71261

Steve Kubik

Post by Steve Kubik »

Thanks! Now I'll have to go find some.
Steve Kubik

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Hi Steve

I use a combination of thinner, brusher cleaner and distilled water.

It is almost unique to each colour too!

I am still experimenting with all paints and the air brush.

From the research I have done so far, you need to create a basic colour with the consistency of milk and enough of it to practise with and adjust so it sprays without clogging.

It is viewed as being multiple layers of thin paint that will get the best finish, and will also respond to pre shading too.

It can be time and paint consuming but when you get it right it looks tight on the detail and has a great finish, ready to weather.

I am still working on that part :roll:

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Kubik

Post by Steve Kubik »

Steve Hutchinson wrote:Hi Steve

From the research I have done so far, you need to create a basic colour with the consistency of milk and enough of it to practise with and adjust so it sprays without clogging.

It is viewed as being multiple layers of thin paint that will get the best finish, and will also respond to pre shading too.

It can be time and paint consuming but when you get it right it looks tight on the detail and has a great finish, ready to weather.

Steve H
HI Steve,
I usually use Tamiya paints and the ratio paint/thinner is the same. My wife had gotten me a set of Vallejo panzer colors as a gift, but they sat in my tool box. THe other night, I was putting a base coat on the interior of that 234 and I ran out of Tamiya Dark Yellow. I turned to the Vallejo and started having issues. I'll have to try the Valljo thinner/water mix and see what happens.
Steve Kubik

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Hi Steve - broadly agree with Steve H

Vallejo do their own Thinner nominally badged as "71.061".

Vallejo Model Air : Thinner = 3 : 1

The catch is that they have changed the Thinner formula. Up till approx a year ago the thinner was milky - no smell.
Most recently it's clear and smells identical to their airbrush cleaner which it almost certainly is.

Model Air is too thick without thinning.

For Vallejo Model Color - aim to dilute by 50% with a solution of half distilled water and half Vallejo airbrush cleaner (or Vallejo Model Air thinner)

Even Mig Ammo which IMHO sprays the best of all the non Tamiya (solvent) acrylics need thinning (with it's own branded thinner)

Despite all this - I still expect to clean my needle every 90-120 seconds of spraying
HTH
Rob
Last edited by Rob Matthews on 26 Oct 2014, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Edmund Forsythe

Steve Hutchinson wrote:Hi Steve

Steve H
So bottom line is its a royal pain in the behind . Steve have you mastered this beast yet ?

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Still trying Edmund :roll:

The Sherman with Olive Drab and pre-shading isn't too bad, but it has been a week and it is starting to grow on me :roll:

But its not Panzer Grey and worryingly it is starting to look good 8-)

Rob, I didn't realise the thinner had changed :?

I have a good stash that I got some time ago, but I guess I will have to re formulate everything when I get new stock :shock:

But when you add in humidity, temperature and all the other time of year factors, each spraying session in the garage is unique ;)

Maybe one day I will have a dedicated inside space and then I might be able to replicate the same mix more than once ;)

Air brushing is a real voyage of discovery, just give yourself plenty of time and enjoy

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Edmund Forsythe

The milky white 70524 is for model color , the other 71261 model air , is that what you meant Steve ?

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

I also have learned to always thin the V.M.A. paint. I just add a few drops of water and maybe one drop of rubbing alcohol to break the surface tension. To prevent, or at least delay, clogging in the nozzle I've found that adding a few drops of acrylic flow enhancer (available at higher end art stores) helps.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns: