Quick Mold and cast

Information and questions about modelling techniques to create that masterpiece.
Barry Thornton

Quick Mold and cast

Post by Barry Thornton »

I recently discovered this stuff.. Oyimaru
After watching a video from PLASMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZLXLa ... teWN3ycYUW
My original plan was to cast a combat badge in silicone to make a mold and cast with plaster. (bit expensive to glue the real thing to a base)
Soften it in hot water and form it around the piece
When its cooled in a couple of minutes the mold is ready. Will not leave anything unpleasant on the item to be copied.
Found it best to `butter` the Miliput in first to get in the nooks and crannys, before filling out the hollow with more material.
Go do something else while the Miliput hardens, then pop it out ..
When you`re done , chop the blue stuff into chunks with a hobby knife and bag it ... you can use it over and over.
My first efforts are sketchy, but its so quick as opposed to waiting for silicone, to find out its not quite 100%, you just do another one.
Then I had the great idea of `practise heads`. I`ve got some Hornet heads and the thought of ruining them scares me to death, so make some `throwaways` to practise the dreaded painting eyes, for the cost of a Pea sized amount of Miliput.
Theres a ton of things to be done with this stuff, so let me know what you come up with. Its very cool space age stuff even if you just get some to play with, it goes very sci fi when it comes out of hot water. 8-)
Last edited by Barry Thornton on 08 Feb 2017, 20:36, edited 2 times in total.

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Quick Mold and cast

Post by Philipp Gross »

Welcome aboard Barry!

This stuff looks very interesting, thanks for showing how it works :) I've seen it before, but never the end results so far. For 2D objects it's probably a very good alternative to resin casting.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Barry Thornton

Post by Barry Thornton »

It will make a 2 part mold easily....... do the first half and let cool (2 minutes), then soften the second half and press on the back.
This stuff does not stick to itself believe it or not.
Plasmo shows a trick where you press a stick into the mold to give locating pins for the 2 halves.
My efforts are very rushed, eager to see what this stuff does. The ammo crate in the last pic was done with Das clay.
Anything that fills and then sets can be used such as plater, resin, epoxy.
Been playing with sticking Allen keys into it to make rivet molds.

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Welcome Barry

Interesting stuff :D

As for hornet heads, just clean your real ones with alcohol after practicing, it brings off water based paints real easy ;)

It is my "Holy Grail" painting heads, so I am stood by your windmill supporting your quest ;)

Have fun :D

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage