AKAH (AKAN) Acrylic Paint range

Any new kit information or scale model show coming up?
Rob Matthews

AKAH (AKAN) Acrylic Paint range

Post by Rob Matthews »

With so many acrylic paint ranges on the market, the question needs to be asked whether we need another?

Well the answer is Yes if it provides authentic paint matches to specific eras and subjects.

AKAH who are a Finnish firm provide such a range, primarily aimed at Soviet or Russian subjects. Anyone here interested in Soviet or Russian subjects :?:

No - thought not ;)

They are available in UK from http://www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/index.php. AKah produce a range of "Royal navy Colours for Coastal Forces" for Coastal Craft models obviously applicable to their range. They also provide an extensive range of very specific Soviet/Rsussian colours for AKAN in Russia.

I'll list the range and then review the use of the royal Navy Colours.

AKAH Range

RAF Great War 1914-18 PC10/PC12/Canvas/Roundel Red/Roundel Blue/Light Admirity-Grey
MODERN RUSSIAN AIR FORCE SU-27 -35
MODERN RUSSIAN AIR FORCE SU-39
RUSSIAN HELICOPTERS
USSR AIRFORCE WW II 1943-45
USSR AIRFORCE WW II 1943-45
USSR AUTO/MOTO/AFV WW II
USSR AUTO/MOTO/AFV MODERN
MODERN RUSSIAN AIR FORCE SU-32/35
MODERN RUSSIAN AIR FORCE MIG 29 SMT/KUB
USSR AIR FORCE WW I -1941
MODERN RUSSIAN AIR FORCE SU37PU/30PK/35-1
MODERN RUSSIAN AIR FORCE T50-SU30 MKK-35-2
USSR AIR FORCE (1978-1989)
RUSSIAN AIR FORCE (1960-XXI)
IL-2 GROUND ATTACK AIR FORCE IN WW II 1943-45
MODERN RUSSIAN AIR FORCE SU-30 MKL
MODERN RUSSIAN AIR FORCE SU-25
MODERN RUSSIAN AIR FORCE AEROBATIC TEAMS
MODERN RUSSIAN AIR FORCE SU-37-2 (SIDE NO 711)
USSR RUSSIAN DECK AVIATION YAK36/38/41M
SU-27 SM VVS OF RUSSIA
SU-33 RUSSIAN NAVY CURRENT SCHEME
100th anniversary of the Russian Ai r Force Su-27 sm new camouflage
100th anniversary of the Russian Ai r Force Su-25/32-35 new camouflage
100th anniversary of the Russian Ai r Force Yak-130 new camouflage
100th anniversary of the Russian Ai r Force Russian helicopters,new camouflage
100th anniversary of the Russian Ai r Force Mig-25,Mig-31 and Mig23(early)
100th anniversary of the Russian Ai r Force Tu 160,Tu-95 and Tu-22M3
100th anniversary of the Russian Ai r Force Missile and bomb armament
100th anniversary of the Russian Ai r Force Il-76
Ukraine Digital Scheme
AEROFLOT RUSSIAN AIRLINES 2000 - 2013
AMT-1 Brown(upper surface camo on aircraft of wooden or mixed construction not fighters
AMT-4 Green(protective paint on upper surfaces on all aircraft of wooden or mixed construction,June 1941-July 1043.
AMT-7Blue (undersides of all aircraft of wooden or mixed design
Emerald Green cockpit interior for Mig-21/23/25/27/31,first series Mig-29,Mi-8/24
Emerald Green faded cockpit interior for Mig-21/23/25/27/31,first seriesMig-29,Mi-8/2
Underside Blue 1960's-modern day paint
Radome/Radiotransparent Gray (faded)
Green Protective AFV
Underside Blue faded 1960s-modern day paint
Green AFV
4 B0 Dark Green(protective base coat for military vehicles,armour and aviation
Underside Gray- Blue for Afgan era camo on Su-25;17 M4(22);Mig-21SMT /bis;23 MLD /M/BN;25 RB;RBV27
A-14 Steel Gray (faded)for all interior surfaces,Soviet Aviation 1935-50.
A11 KR-Red ( aerolak faded) for aircraft of wood / plywood,fabric consTruction .Used for application of red stars,boat numbers,recognition markings,et
Black-grey AFV
AMT-6 Black camo patches on upper surfaces of all aircraft of wooden or mixed construction,June 1941-July1943
AMT-11 Gray-Blue camo patches on upper surfaces of all aircraft of wooden or mixed construction,July1943-1945.
Bright Green for VVS early 4-tone camo scheme Su-17/22/25,MiG23/27
Yellow AFV
Flanker Red (faded)interior gear door,flaps,spoilers,etc.Su-27 family.
Gray(faded)overall airframe for MiG-25/31;An-8/12/24/26;early MiG-21/23;Tu-22m2/m3
Radome/Radiotransparent Green (faded)
GREY INTERIOR SU-24
BLUE/GREY INTERIOR SU-27-34-35-37
Grey-Green AFV
Darkblue-Green AFV
Beige upper surface camo.for Su-25;17 M4(22)Mig-21SMT/bis;23MLD/M/BN;25RB,RBV; 27
Sand upper4 surface camo.for Su-25;17 M4(22)Mig-21 SMT/bis;23 MLD/M/BN;25RB, RBV 27
Brown upper surface camo. For Su-25;17 M4(22)Mig.-21SMT/bis,23 MLD/M/BN 25 RB.
Green upper surface camo.for Su-25,17 M4(22)Mig.-21SMT/bis.23MLD/M/BN 25 RB
Mk-7 White winter white coat applied to Soviet aviation 1941-1945
GREY/BLUE INTERIOR SU-25
Radome/Radiotransparent White:Su-24/2730/32/33/34.
Light Gray(upper surface camo colour applied to Su-27SM,VVS of Russia 2013
Blue(upper surface camo colour applied toSu-33,2006-present)
Dark Gray Blue(upper surface camo colour applied to Su-33,2006-present)
Dark Gray Eggplant 2013 upper surface scheme for Su-34,Su-35S,Su-25SM,etc.)
A range of durable high quality water based acrylic model paints to complement your Coastal Craft Kit.

Paint Review

Other manufacturers produce authentic Royal Navy Colours but only in enamels. I for one could never go back to the hassle of using enamels :roll:

The Acrylics in the Royal Navy set replicate those colours used on Coastal craft 1939 - 1945.

The paints are attractively packaged in 15ml containers, that are unfortunately not of the dropper bottle type such as Vallejo.
They are odourless and the instructions suggest that you dilute with distilled water to airbrush by 5-10%. This did not seem enough and I eventually settled with closer to 15-20%. I also add a drop of Vallejo airbrush cleaner which further increases sprayability. I experimented with varying pressures from 10psi to 25 and stuck at 20psi - the same as I use for Vallejo Model Air or Mig Ammo. Whilst they do not spray as well as either of these, their cover is very good and the paint is not overly thick. I was very pleased with the actual colours which as close as one can reason are authentic. The RN white has that off-white- creamy touch which is reputedly the original shade. They also brush well and in some respects brush better than spray.

The LCVP was sprayed using RN white and B15 Blue-grey

The Vosper under construction uses 507A for the dark grey deck and B45 Grey(stone grey) whichis the correct shade for the hulls of most MTBs

Cleaning of airbrush or brush is conventional with normal airbrush cleaner and water.

Summary

An extensive range of acrylic paints new to the UK. They purport to be specifically matched to individual subjects mostly Soviet and Russian from WWI to modern day. Accurate representation of WWII Royal Navy colours is to be particularly welcomed.
They spray well though need more dilution than advertised. They also brush well. The only improvement that I would wish would be for them to come in dropper bottles.

Delivery by Martin from Coastal Craft Models (http://www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/index.php )is always swift and efficient

Highly recommended

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Re: AKAH (AKAN) Acrylic Paint range

Post by John Everett »

Damn, Rob. Super paint or no super paint, that boat looks great!

I first learned about AKAH paints during my visits to Moscow. It's good stuff. During the IPMS show I met the guy who distributes the AKAH brand here in the US. Cool as heck! If you want a fast an simple match for soviet colors this may be your best source.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Re: AKAH (AKAN) Acrylic Paint range

Post by Matt Parvis »

I actually picked some paint up for a SU-27 I've got in the stash from the guy John mentioned, his company is Linden Hill Imports and can be found here. He also looks to carry the Coastal Craft stuff that Rob is building for anyone in the states that might be interested.

Matt