Airfix 1/72 Higgins LCVP Review/Build

Any new kit information or scale model show coming up?
Rob Matthews

Airfix 1/72 Higgins LCVP Review/Build

Post by Rob Matthews »

For many of us Airfix will always have a place in our hearts for starting us off in modelling.
Their fortunes waned in recent years, the sophistication of Asian kit models relegating Airfix to "has-been" status.
However - there are indications that fortunes are reversing with a lot of favourable comment about recent offerings, in wingey things, all scales and 1/48th AFVs. Airfix were never afraid to have a punt and produce kits of relatively obscure subjects. It was something of a surprise when they announced a retooling of the LCVP previously available in 1/76. Presumably the 70th commemoration of D-day was big incentive

The new kit in 1/72 is truly a complete retool. It arrives in an attractive box with first rate instructions.

Decals are provided for Royal Navy and US Navy boats in schemes appropriate to D-day 1944

Construction is entirely straightforward. There is no flash and the moulding is delicate and precise throughout. Sprue attachments are small and well placed, unlike Airfix practice from yesteryear.

Fit is perfect and easily on a par with any modern AFV kit :D

A particularly nice touch is for the stand to come as a scale trestle that presumably these boats would have sat on out of the water to be transported 8-)

My biggest SINGLE criticism of this kit and one which seems inexplicable considering the finesse of the rest is that Airfix have omitted to mould the mooring bollards :?

They are represented as rectangles of raised plastic. It is a comparatively simple job to use a hemispheric file to create a semblance of a mooring cleat, but it would have taken little effort to present them more accurately.

There are some raised mould marks on the drop-door which some careful chiselling will remove

And as a very small point the lifebuoys supplied seem markedly under-scale

Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Re: Airfix 1/72 Higgins LCVP Review/Build

Post by Rob Matthews »

Construction of the hull is simple
The interior is well detailed and a nice touch is to include a stirrup bilge pump on the port side.
The detail on the main cargo bay floor is particularly nicely done.

The boat comes with an amoured shield aft of the gun positions, unlike it's predecessor. The shield on the Browning guns benefit from thinning with an emery board

And before very long you get to this.......

I did actually use a small amount of filler at the lower hull join though I'm not absolutely certain that it needed it.

Primer was applied and the painting began using AKAN paints that' I'll review separately. They make a set specific to Royal Navy colours for WWII

The interior was a dark Grey - much darker than you normally see on finished models.

The attractive camo in Royal Navy "B15" was done using masking tape, drawn with a pencil then cut out

Original pictures of these boats are rare and I've struggled to find many on the net.

The hull was masked for red antifouling done with Vallejo Model Color Saddle Brown : Cavalry brown 50 : 50

Klear was sprayed over and decals applied using setting solutions with no silvering encountered.

Weathering was done using standard AFV techniques of pin-wash using MIG Neutral wash and oil paints

The lifebuoys were replaced from spares from the Airfix Vosper.

The prop was done using "Mr Metal Color" Bronze and turned out....Nice

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Summary

This simple, cheap reincarnation of the LCVP from Airfix builds into a stunning little kit. Airfix are to be congratulated on a fine effort. if they had attended to the bollard/cleats it would be faultless. Compared to the earlier 1/76th offering, despite being 1/72 it comes out slightly smaller and clearly remeasuring has taken place. There is an LCVP at the D-day museum in Portsmouth and it's possible this has been the reference boat.

There are few enough boat offerings in 1/72 scale and this is a hugely welcome addition. I sincerely hope Airfix are encouraged to do further 1/72 Marine subjects.

Highly recommended and if this is a sign of the new re-emergent Airfix we should rejoice :D

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Very nice boat Rob! :)

Now imagine a beach diorama with half a dozen of these... :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

Wow, Rob! Just, wow.

I love the wooden cradle included with the kit. It helps for display when out-of-water. I also like that you've not added rust to the wooden parts of the Higgins Boat. I've seen that done more than once.

I recall a documentary on Higgins craft, the whole backstory on Higgins and his swamp boats and how he sold them to the navy. I think is was on a show called Modern Marvels, or perhaps on the US cable channel, The Military Channel. If you did some internetting you may be able to download or watch for free a full hour on your topic. It's an interesting story about a charming, overweight southerner who uses his business wealth and slightly corrupt political connections to win a building contract within the US military industrial complex...............It's just so damned American on so many levels! :P
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Jurgen Mares

Post by Jurgen Mares »

Great review and build Rob.
You really nailed this one.
Definitely one to add to the stash when you feel a need for something different.

Jurgs

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Rob,

That's a stunning little build. Your weathering is just awesome!
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!