Churchill Oke

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Churchill Oke

Post by Gary Boxall »

With my new workdesk in place, couldn't resist ehe temptation of starting something new :D

I've had the Dieppe Churchill in my stash for a little while and grabbed one of the ITA conversion kits before they closed down. This build will be one of the original flame thrower versions which preceeded the well known Crocodile which was based on the Mk.VII version.
The Oke first appeared in May 1942 and was the brainchild of Major J.M. Oke, after whom this Mk.II Churchill version was named. The conversion consisted of Ronson flamerthrowing equipment with a fuel tank mouned on the rear with an external pipe leading to the front fixed angle mounting with the BESA MG remaining in its original place.
Three vehicles, Bull, Beetle and Boar all saw action during the Dieppe raid but were all knocked out before they could be effectively used. The ITA kit covers these three vehicles as well as Tintagel, which remained on English shores. It is this version that I will build.

We all pretty much know how good the AFV Club Churchills are so the base kit doesn't really need an introduction. Whilst some versions come with vinyl tracks, this kit comes with their excellent styrene indi links...

The included deep wading gear will not be required so can be saved for a future project.

A 'must' IMHO, is Voyager's PE set.....

Then there is the ITA kit itself....

Each version varied slightly so seperate 3 seperate A4 instruction booklets (inc colour plates) reflect this. Along with the expected resin conversion parts, you also get 2 x turned brass BESA and 1 x main gun barrels, PE frets decals. Rather than show all the parts now, they'll become evident during the build.

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Churchill Oke

Post by Philipp Gross »

Ohhhhh, the beginning another trademark Gary masterpiece :D

*pulls up chair and popcorn* :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Vincent Power »

He's back! :D I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together Gary though I did shudder when I saw that Voyager set :shock:

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Interesting choice Gary. I'm guessing there won't be much of the Voyager set you can actually use as it's for a reworked Mk III rather than a Mk I.

Looking forward to it.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Good to have you back building :D

Nice choice 8-)

Watching

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, no progress yet as been busy with DIY around the house. Amazing how much work there is to do still wen you move into a btrrand new house! :shock:

Gary

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Hoping to get some bench time today, but in the meantime a correction on my first post after some digging around on the net.

Appears that T32049 TINTAGEL was originally with No. 10 Troop, “B” Squadron, 48th Battalion, Royal Tank Regiment and as shown in the photo on the front of the instructions. The vehicle was transferred to The Calgary Regiment on 20 June 1942, where under the name of BOAR (No. 8 Troop, “B” Squadron), it participated in the Dieppe landings 2 months later.

When photographed as TINTAGEL, the vehicle is missing its armoured intake covers on each side....

BOAR had these fitted at Dieppe. The vehicle name (TINTAGEL) is painted onto the track guard brackets above each intake area. BOAR also had track guards fitted each side level with the engine access hatches as well as rear mud guards. These may have simply been removed originally during UK based training etc.
The armoured box for the fuel tank at the rear was not fitted to TINTAGEL and while BOAR had one for the Dieppe raid, it was knocked off completely along with teh tank when disembarking from the landing craft.

I'd like to finish the vehicle as seen in the above photo so will need some more reference images on that intake aperture on the side....

Gary

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

So, here we go....

There are a few differences between the Mk.II hull required for this build and the Mk.III donor kit and I'll point these out as we go along.

The first set is to start building up the side sponsons. Tintagel doesn't have the conical bolt heads fitted so you need to ignore this step in the AFV Club instructions (though the holes will need tyo be drilled).

As I'm planning on leaving the armoured intake covers off, the apertures need a little work as they are too small as is. The rear of the ITA resin covers have the correct size required moluded in and after some carfeul measuring, the aperture was carefully carved out. The two locating holes for the kit's original cover are filled in. Also removed is the track return rail on top as the earlier versions used small curved sections - more on these later...

Gary

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

The only photo I can find of TINTAGEL shows holes where the conical headed bolts were fitted. I have no idea why these bolts were not fitted or removed? So, as per photo, the holes are drilled out - along with those where the armoured intake cover mounting bolts would be....

Gary

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

And he's off :D this should be fun, pulling up a chair!

how long before the pristine white desk is battered?
Completed Campaigns: