ICM T-34/76

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

ICM T-34/76

Post by Philipp Gross »

Hi Gents,

inbetween waiting for the KV swamp diorama to dry and going mad assembling the Pak 43, there's always room for another simple build to soothe the nerves :lol:

This is ICM's brand new T-34/76 kit which came out this summer. Revell was kind enough to sell it under their own label as well, which makes the whole affair a lot cheaper as far as the domestic German market is concerned. This kit has hit the shelves with a list price of under 20 Euros, compared to about 30 for ICM's own issue. So it's really a good deal, at least if you can stand the Airfixian cover painting :lol:

Belive it or not, so far I've never really bothered with the T-34 for reasons unknown. So please forgive me if I'm not yet ready to bother with all minute production differences, as I would do on a Sherman or Stug or whatever. We'll see what the future brings :roll:

Coming home from work I went straight to work again and after a few very relaxing hours I ended up with this:

The assembly was very easy, with an almost Tamiya-like fit for most parts. I encountered small gaps between upper and lower hull, but these resulted from a slightly warped lower hull, which I noticed too late. One of the more serious issues with the kit however is the lack of periscopes for the driver. Since I was unwilling to build it with the hatch open, I had to improvise a little. I also added a few extra weld seams around the MG bustle.

(I'll clean up the mould seams on the tyres later)

However, the kit has two serious weaknesses. Here's one:

The other one is the solid mesh on the rear. However, there's full detail underneath. I bought some cheap leftover Dragon tracks and photoetch on Ebay to remedy these issues, hopefully they should arrive in a few days.

Next step, the turret:

The gun barrel comes in two halves. However I have a few Zis-5 barrels for my KVs. If I'm not mistaken, these are externally the same as the F-34?

Here's what I intend to do with it:
Of course thanks to the different style of wheels on that particular tank it won't be an exact copy, just a semi-generic run-down T-34/76 that somehow made it until Berlin. Banging up the fenders will be fun :mrgreen:

Thanks for looking :)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: ICM T-34/76

Post by Vincent Power »

Nice choice Philipp. Looking forward to following this one. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks Vincent! :)

Looking forward to see it done :lol:

I have some fairly ambitious plans with this one. Not for the T-34 itself but rather that underneath it :twisted:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Count me in. Will be following.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Welcome aboard Shawn! :D

Lots of space to ride on a T-34 :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Philipp Gross wrote:Thanks Vincent! :)

Looking forward to see it done :lol:

I have some fairly ambitious plans with this one. Not for the T-34 itself but rather that underneath it :twisted:

Philipp
You have my attention Philipp :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Edmund Forsythe

Post by Edmund Forsythe »

The bug has bitten you .

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Let's just say it involves a diorama-base with a more three-dimensional approach...along with lots of concrete, earth, sand, gravel and a few rails...and including the Germans from this set as well. :mrgreen:

Philipp

(who is getting way too silly right now and should probably go to bed :P )
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Ohh, very nice choice Philipp :D

It has peaked my interest, and will really look good when you pull together all the elements you are planning ;)

Lots of Russian tank rider figure sets out there, I speak from recent purchasing experience ;)

Very nice choices and could preempt the next GB :?:

Nice start :D

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thank you Steve :) Not sure if I'll add tank riders yet. Might keep things simple where possible. While the T-34 will be done very soon I guess the base I've planned will take an eternity... :lol:

Almost done now:

I tried my luck with some battle damage. Since the fenders are an integral part of the hull it's somewhat difficult.

The rear end had slight fit problems. The side walls are bevelled as if to accept a smoothly fitting rear plate. This being a T-34, it's actually far simpler. A handful of putty to get the sides up to full thickness solves the problem easily. I also slightly drilled out the exhausts for a better appearance, on the left original, on the right after modification.

Another weird thing is the turret ring - it's just 1mm too small all around. It also lacks the cast pattern found on the turret shell. Almost as if two designers had made these without consulting each other. Thankfully it's only visible from beneath and easily filled with putty.

You may also notice the gun breech, which is nicely detailed for what little you would see even with the hatches open. Since I'll have them closed most likely I didn't bother much with it.

That's it for today. Just a few more easy to break parts and grab handles and then I'm done...at least until the tracks and photoetch arrive. ;)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns: