Mk 44 Ammoknights

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Rod Dumouchel

Mk 44 Ammoknights

Post by Rod Dumouchel »

Well Edmonton was issued with an extreme weather warning. Funny we used to call it a cold snap or just plain old winter. :lol:

Sounded like a good day to sit down at the bench. Decided I wanted to do something different. Had this kit in the stash so I thought it would be a nice break from my Sherman and Panzer III.

I think it is a spin off of the Maschinen Krieger series (or S.F.3.D.) for some of you who may remember that far back. The Kit is by Hasegawa and includes two Suits one with a fixed gun arm, and another they call Smartgun Equipment Type. So every thing you see for now is times two as I am building both at the same time.

I am going with this colour scheme, Like the playing Card Markings.

Was able to get a good start on a number of the sub assemblies. Here is the waist down. I need to add a weld seam around the power packs on the thigh yet and the Power cable going to the lower leg is going to be replaced with a metal spring as I have no Idea how to remove the mold seam from the poly power cables supplied with the kit. Some seams to fill but nothing to difficult.

Here is the visor, I am going to add a weld bead around the two sensors above the face plate. I also replaced all of the rivets supplied in the kit with the very nice Meng Bolts.

More bolts added to the front of the body.

Again some more items to add a weld seam, will be adding one around the arm sockets, and more Meng bolts added.

Even made a start on the cockpit, this is the Meng set I have been using it' the 1.7mm recessed bolt heads I am using.

This is turning into a super quick build for me. I'll break out the A+B putty and work on the welds tomorrow.

Regards,
Rod

Rod Dumouchel

Re: Mk 44 Ammoknights

Post by Rod Dumouchel »

A little more progress.

Regards,
Rod

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

That's a regular production line you've got going there.

You wrote that you wanted a break from the Sherman and Panzer. I'm not sure that these two as being too far different. :?
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Mark Aldrich
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Really nice! I love these Mak kits! About 6 months ago, I went through my stash looking for my Krotes ( I had like 4). None were there. I pulled all 22 boxes of kits down and went through them. I think one of my Daughter's boyfriends (back in the day) had done the same thing. Along with helping to thin my stash, I came up missing my M26 and trailer, 2 DUKWs, and the Famo and trailer kits. Been currently watching evilbay for the Krotes and trying to rebuild my stash. These two are looking really nice and can't wait to see them finished.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Rod Dumouchel

Post by Rod Dumouchel »

John Everett wrote:That's a regular production line you've got going there.

You wrote that you wanted a break from the Sherman and Panzer. I'm not sure that these two as being too far different. :?
Kinda lost my modeling mojo. Nothing gets it back for me like some Ma.K.

Regards,
Rod

Rod Dumouchel

Post by Rod Dumouchel »

Mark Aldrich wrote:Really nice! I love these Mak kits! About 6 months ago, I went through my stash looking for my Krotes ( I had like 4). None were there. I pulled all 22 boxes of kits down and went through them. I think one of my Daughter's boyfriends (back in the day) had done the same thing. Along with helping to thin my stash, I came up missing my M26 and trailer, 2 DUKWs, and the Famo and trailer kits. Been currently watching evilbay for the Krotes and trying to rebuild my stash. These two are looking really nice and can't wait to see them finished.

Be careful with e-bay those Ma.K/S.F.3.D. kits will sometimes go for just stupid money, those kits do come back into production from time to time, keep an eye on the HLJ website. They are no longer Nitto kits, Wave purchased the molds I think, Wave will reissue the kit sometimes with a few different parts to make a different version or different decals. They only seem to do it in limited runs so when you see it come up, snap it up or you won't see it again for a couple years.

Regards,
Rod

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Rod,
I am currently watching a Krote. There are three Wave versions (all over $100) and 3 Nitto (all over $95) with a new one added today starting at $50 BIN for $75. We'll see.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Rod Dumouchel

Post by Rod Dumouchel »

Mark Aldrich wrote:Rod,
I am currently watching a Krote. There are three Wave versions (all over $100) and 3 Nitto (all over $95) with a new one added today starting at $50 BIN for $75. We'll see.
You may not want to know this Mark so look away. :lol: :lol:

Original Nitto Krote sold for 2700 Yen (about $27.00 US).

The Modelkasten ( included some conversion parts in resin and new decals) version (Kuster) sold for 6750 Yen.

The Wave rebox (with different decals) was 3600 Yen.

The one I am kicking myself about because I did not take my own advise and snap one up when was released was the Wave Kuster and Friedrick combo specical which included the ModelKasten parts in plastic and a Friedrick Armoured fighting suit (which has not been released seperatly) for 6800 yen. Sad part is that kit was only released in January 2014 and is already discontinued.

Regards,
Rod