T-34 with cast prototype T-34M Kulebaka foundry

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Greg Beckman
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

T-34 with cast prototype T-34M Kulebaka foundry

Post by Greg Beckman »

Like all T-34 fans, I have many, many books on T-34s and have a general understanding of the development of the T-34 series based on books written in English. Many of my books are in Russian and I can only go on photos and some high level English captions within these books because I don't understand Russian, which is a shame for me being that I only model Russian armor.

During the evolution of the T-34, there was an initial effort to upgrade the T-34 and it was called the T-34M. Another effort to upgrade the T-34, was the T-43. During this process various turrets and hulls were created to test out concepts.

The example I'm going to model is a prototype cast turret on a T-34 hull. Panzerart dropped a turret on the market of this prototype about a month ago and I snapped one up right away.

What I'm going to model is in the first attached photo/profile from one of the Tank Power books, cover shown below in photo 5. The 2nd photo, is the Panzerart box. Apparently 62 of these cast turrets were produced, so I will model one of these turrets that was pressed into service as in the profile, mounted on a standard T-34 hull. Per the turret drawing, the Panzerart kit matches it almost perfectly, except for the gumdrop site, which I am sure I have one in my parts bin. The 2nd drawing is a T-43 with this turret mounted. Most of the T-43 pictures I have or have seen, show a later turret with some changes and a commanders observation cupola at the rear, much like the cupola on the T-50 light tank turret.

Last photo is the bottom of the resin turret, where I have graphed the turret ring from a Hex turret to properly fit the DML T-34 hull.

Mark, if your out there and see this, correct me where I am wrong on the evolution story I spun. Thanks!

Gregovich (Greg)

Mark Rethoret

Re: T-34 with cast prototype T-34M Kulebaka foundry

Post by Mark Rethoret »

Interesting subject for sure. The strange thing is I can't recall ever seeing photos of anything but a wooden mock-up of that particular turret and I'm kind'a skeptical of any actually being fielded. Not impossible I suppose but it'd be nice to see the photo that "unidentified unit, Eastern front in 1942" illustration was based on. Heck, I'd settle for a photo of an actual casting! :lol:

:ugeek:

Greg Beckman
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Greg Beckman »

Hey Mark, I also have that wooden mockup(highly glossy, btw) picture from the first reference book pictured below, that and the drawings/profile is all I have to go on. It's all a bit iffy, but going to run with it. The profiles in those Tank Power books are usually pretty accurate, but would love to see a picture, if one existed. Thanks for the input and if you have more feed back, bring it.
Last edited by Greg Beckman on 03 Sep 2014, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
Gregovich (Greg)

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Surely an interesting version of the T-34. Was this turret designed for two or three crewmen?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Reid
Senior Moderator

Post by Steve Reid »

Very interesting Greg!

I'll be following and certainly learning something!

Steve

Greg Beckman
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Greg Beckman »

Steve, just in time for an update. The front plate is Celticwerks that corrects the drivers hatch alignment issue. Philipp, I'd say the turret was a two man crew, it's smaller than a Hex turret, just slightly and lower.

Gregovich (Greg)

Steve Reid
Senior Moderator

Post by Steve Reid »

Greg Beckman wrote: Image
Damn it Greg-

OK I will get one- :roll:

Looks too cool!

Steve

Scott Fraser

Post by Scott Fraser »

Mark Rethoret wrote:Interesting subject for sure. The strange thing is I can't recall ever seeing photos of anything but a wooden mock-up of that particular turret and I'm kind'a skeptical of any actually being fielded. Not impossible I suppose but it'd be nice to see the photo that "unidentified unit, Eastern front in 1942" illustration was based on. Heck, I'd settle for a photo of an actual casting! :lol:

:ugeek:
Not to rain on the parade, but this is another T-34 myth. There are no photos because the turret was never produced. From p.32 in the Kolomiets book you have (Nasledniki T-34):

С проектом Т -34М (Т-43) связан один миф, который часто кочует из издания в издание довольно долгое время. Суть его в следующем: якобы руководству наркомата танковой промышленности понравилась башня этого танка, и на Кулебакском заводе (завод № 178 наркомата танковой промышленности, занимавшийся производством бронекорпусов и башен танков) в апреле 1942 года отлили 62 таких башни, которые установили
на серийные Т-34. Эта информация является фантазией авторов и не подтверждается никакими документами, в том числе и отчетами завода № 177. Кроме того, в апреле 1942 года проект Т-34М еще вообще не рассматривался в наркомате танковой промышленности и ни о каком изготовлении башен речи быть не могло.

" ...This appears to be a fantasy of the authors and is not supported by any documentation from that period (April 1942) at Zavod No.177. Apart from that, in April 1942 the T-34M/T-43 project had still not been considered by the NKTP (tank ministry) so there could be no discussion about preparing new turrets."

At this point, Kolomiets is probably the world's leading authority on the T-34. My inclination would be to believe what he says unless there is proof indicating otherwise.

Regards
Scott Fraser

Greg Beckman
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Greg Beckman »

No worries. I'm treating it like a paper panzer, or shall I say, a paper tahk. No matter, still enjoying the project.
Gregovich (Greg)

Greg Beckman
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Greg Beckman »

Here is some progress. Construction complete. Added texture on the turret, bent and dented up the fenders and added weld beads.
Primer.
Initial 4BO applied. If you look close enough, you will see some modulation. I will add more before decals and weathering.
Gregovich (Greg)