Clearing my Shelf of Shame (Armour Edition)

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Ian Shumsky

Clearing my Shelf of Shame (Armour Edition)

Post by Ian Shumsky »

So it transpires I have 14 stalled 1/35 armour builds, which if I’m honest is better than I thought! I’ve listed each of these below in the order I’m hoping to clear them down, along with some notes on where they are and possibly why they stalled. I’m not planning on completing all of these before I start something new, but I would like to get three or four done before adding back to the shelf queens!

I’ll get some pics up and start to make progress over the next couple of days... probably :lol:

Italeri Sherman M4A1 Allied Standard Tank

This is very nearly finished. I used the tracks from Dragon’s El Alamein Sherman on this but managed to trim them too short. I have since patched them up and so all that is required is a bit of paint around the fixed tracks, some simple weathering and fixing to a very simple base with static grass to hide the track mess. I’d also like to add a figure to the base to further hid the track problem but haven’t found anything suitable yet.

AFV Club Sd.Kfz.11 and leFH18 10.5cm Howitzer

Two builds for the price of one! The artillery piece build is very nearly complete -- I just need to fill and sand the spades then it is off for painting. Much of the Sd.Kfz.11 build is done as well -- the inside of the cab is painted and waiting for some ‘dressing’ with maps, weapons, etc., before being closed up. I think the main outstanding item is the build of the tracks -- I'm using some Dragon Sd.Kfz.251 links here. Once these are done it is into the paint shop. I had hoped to place these into a diorama with a bunch of figures, but I may delay that and finish (or start!) other things first.

Trumpeter LAV-A2 Armoured Vehicle

Construction is complete and base colour applied. I think this stopped as I was going to cast some resin wheels as I don’t like the kit rubber offering, but as that didn’t happen I will likely source an after market set rather than make my own. After that it is just detail painting and weathering.

Trumpeter British Challenger 2 Enhanced Armour

Another build where the base colour is applied. I had started painting the kit’s rubber band tracks but I could not get paint to adhere, so I got hold of a set of Bronco workable tracks instead. These are now sitting in a bunch of sealed pots waiting to be constructed and painted. Once done I can get them on the model, add the side skirts, finish the detail painting and weather.

Tamiya Italian Self-Propelled Gun Semovente

Base coat of paint applied and only detailed painting and weathering remain, with possibly some dressing of the hull to be added. The plan is to put this into a diorama with the Dragon El Alamein Sherman. I suspect that this stalled as I’d misjudged a few things and ended up with the tracks fixed and I wasn’t looking forward to painting them in-situ.

Hobby Boss German Boxer MRAV

Construction is about 80% complete. I had stopped to cast my own wheels, but since picked up the excellent Def.Model set. Painting should be, err, fun for this -- there are lots of little surface details that could be damaged while applying masking for the three tone camo!

Trumpeter Canadian AVGP Grizzly (Late)

Yet another model that is around 80% complete and paused as I was going to cast my own wheels (are you seeing a pattern here?!?). Like the LAV I want to source some AM replacements before continuing with this.

Dragon El Alamein Sherman

Hull construction is around 95% complete. I had built a set of Bronco tracks for this, but mad a bit of a mess adding the guide horns so either the links were fixed solid or fell apart! I have another set of Bronco tracks for this and will be a little more careful next time. I was also using a AM turret interior for this and was in the process of marrying the resin lower turret half with the kit upper turret half. This likely stalled as I was miffed with the tracks.

Tamiya M1025 HUMVEE Armament Carrier

This was one of the first models I built! It lingers in the paint shop and gets a little attention here and there based on what else I’m spraying. I suspect not much will change for this one and one day it’ll just end up finished.

Italeri M-108 105mm SP Howitzer

Construction complete and primer applied. I think this stopped as I was unsure on what camo and markings to apply.

Trumpeter Sd.Kfz.7/1 early version

I’m not entirely sure why this one stalled. I think I had made a mistake with some of the running gear and was about to start construction of the tracks when I stopped. It shouldn’t take too much to sort out the issues and continue with construction.

Dragon SS-1c SCUD B with MAZ-543 TEL

This is hardly started. I assembled some of the base chassis and removed a lot of the rubbish moulded on detail with the intention of scratch building my own transmission, etc. I suspect this stopped as I became aware of the challenge I’d set myself and wasn’t quite confident of my skills. Hopefully when I pick this one up I’ll be ready!

AFV Club IDF Shot Kal 1973

Primed with some paint applied, but the road wheels have warped terribly for some reason. It is possible that this one may end up in the bin!
My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Jan Persson

Re: Clearing my Shelf of Shame (Armour Edition)

Post by Jan Persson »

Some good stuff there, would especially love to see more of the Semovente since I have one of these too :mrgreen:

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Hi Jan, I'll be posting pics of each of the builds in turn -- I want to try and focus on one at a time rather than flit between them all. After all, that of focus is what got me in this mess in the first place :lol:

Should have pics of the Sherman up tomorrow.

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Very impressive list Ian! :D

We still have this going on, just in case you want to earn a silly badge :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Philipp, thanks for the reminder! It seems I was the first person to reply to the main message and out of all the things listed I only managed to complete 1, and even add to the list! Let's see if I can do better this time :lol:

Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Adam Durrant »

Would be interested in seeing the Boxer finished Ian. Bought one a while back with lots of enthusiasm but like you lost the will to build and it’s now sitting sadly on a shelf :(
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Hi Adam, thanks for the support! I will get to the Boxer -- but have some other things to finish (and maybe start!) first.

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

So it transpires I've temporarily lost my modelling area to my daughter's school art project. Hopefully she'll be done with the space by the weekend! In the meantime here is where I'm at with Italeri's M4A1 Sherman:

If you look carefully you can see the track patching... the fix will look a lot better with paint and pigments! Aside from some simple pigment weathering I need to finish the pioneer tools, and I'm starting work on a very simple base.

Does anyone have some suggestions for a figure for this?

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Very nice work Ian! :D

What kind of figure are you looking for? Crewman? Infantry? German pointing and laughing? :lol:

(yes, there is a set)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Hi Philipp, I'm looking for a US tanker / Infantry wearing somthing for early summer and in a relaxed pose. Doesn't have to be historically accurate but at the same time not too far away from what could have been!

Cheers,
Ian