Takom M3 Grant

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Takom M3 Grant

Post by Gary Boxall »

Always fancied building one of these and with teh release of the new Takom kit, I could resist no longer...

Decided to start with the VVSS suspension. Grant had the early type with a single return roller on top....

Parts are nicely detailed and seem pretty accurate when compared to the drawings etc in the Son of a Sherman book. However, there is a lot of clean up of mould seams, ejector pins etc which is a little tricky due to the nature of the soft styrene used. Take your time and you shouldn't have any issues. The parts fit well and follow pretty much the same set up as Tasca/Asuka early Sherman bogies go together....

Ended up adding a couple of missing details - volute spring adjustment points and the return roller mounting nut/bolt...

Took me the afternoon and part of this evening to complete all 6 units. Tamiya surface primer is used to replicate the cast effect missing from parts...

At the outset, I had no intention of wanting to use the kit's link and length tracks - hoping to use an indi link set from the likes of Bronco. Biggest question was whether the tracks would fit? Fortunately they do - but only just. A VERY snug fit, but a fit nonetheless...

The sprockets are the correct shape for the Grant - they differ a fair bit from a standard M4 - so Takom were paying attention. However, for some reason (only known to them), Takom have added nut detail on the inside face of the hub when the real one doesn't have any. So the detail needs to be removed...

I've made a start on the idler wheels which have seperate faces to replicate the undercut they feature. Fit isn't perfect so a little filler is required. They are currently drying so will post pics tomorrow. Unfortunately, Takom have missed off the grease and relief points so they will need to be added.

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Takom M3 Grant

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice one Gary!

The new Lee/Grant have been the most exciting new releases for me this year :D I'm really looking forward to see this one build!

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Adam Durrant »

Nice start Gary, have been waiting for someone here to have a crack at one of these. Will follow with interest :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

looks interesting Gary

A pre Sherman, so not drifting too far ;)

Nice start

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Ohh, nice choice Gary :mrgreen: !

I somehow strangely really like this weird B1-esque contraption :D .

Looking forward to seeing this one built! :D

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Welcome along guys.

Adom - Model Air have them in stock, but be prepared for a challenge if you get one ;)

Onto the hull next...

I've noted from at least one other build elsewhere that the side sponson bottom plates and slightly bowed downwards which casuses misalignment with the rear panel. My kit is no different (dry fitted)...

So it's worth taking a little time at this stage to bend the sponson botom plates up slightly to ensure they sit straight...

The FDA, to be honest, is a real let down from Takom. A smooth finish to a cast part? When have you ever seen a FDA that is mirror smnooth? At least they got the casting part numbers correct...

Parts go together well enough without the need for filler (FDA is dry fitted to hull)...

I shaved off the casting details and added my own cast texture with Tamiya putty diluted with Tamiya cement. New casting marks were added using Archer resin decals and the two flanges were then cemented in place...

Rear idler mounts are two part and fitment is poor - requiring filler in several places....

Front fender/sand shield assemblies go together nicely though did require a miniscule amount of filler...

Fitment to hull was good - just a little tape needed at the front to keep them down while the cement cured...

Upper hull sides fit is excellent - parts are dry fitted here...

From this point on though.... what a mission!!!!

Why Takom had to design the parts so they meet with chamfered edges is beyond me. I assume the designer doesn't actually build models. Surely it would have been simpler to make it up using the plates as on the real thing?

Fitment, is, to say the least, a real challenge. I ended up removing the locating tabs and increasing the angle of the chamfer so the edges actually touch where they are meant to. Even so, I still had to use a fair amount of putty to full annoying gaps...

It looks messy, but at least things improve with a little wet and dry....

Main gun housing needs cast texture improved....

75mm gun mantlet has no cast texture at all...

No poly caps here - just a snug fit....

Odd traverse set up here

Before I get to that, top of gun housing needs texture added...

Takom have you heat the ends up and flatted then rather than use caps...

Gun sight also moves, but not in unison with the gun????

Rear panel is one piece which is bent along predetermined grooves on the inner face...

Again, all locating tabs were removed and edges chafered further to allow decent fitment of roof to hull...

Engine deck panel. Tie downs are removed as I'll be adding my own...

Opening in deck looks straight into the empty void of the hull, so I made up a box using styrene sheet and painted in black....

After a little fettling, rear upper side panels are in place....

Rear most panels fit perfectly (for a change!)...

Smoke bomb aperture has a piece added inside the turret, but still ends up with an open hole. I added somne brass tube with a piece of styrene to represent the launch tube...

37mm gun assembly - again a snug fit for elevation...

Front plate dry fitted at this stage...

Beginning to look like a Grant...

Gary

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Yeh, not really up for that at the moment Gary! Will stick with my current OOB "speed" build :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

:shock: The panel-fit-or-evidently-not-complication sure is a bummer... and the lack of casting texture is really.. what? 70s-ish retro-feel? :roll:

Nicely dealt with all the issues though - I'm the kind of person who packs kits that annoy me too intensely back into their box and promise myself to do them later (indefinitely though of course... :lol: ).

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Of course, just having a perfect kit would have been boring, right? :roll:

Anyhow, you did a great job fixing all these shortcomings. I can already see this is going to be great :D

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Thank you gentlemen :)

Kit PE isn't up to the standards of the likes of Voyager - especially the mesh which is, iMHO, awful...

Looks even worse in the flesh.

So, I cut out the mesh, leaving the frame, and soldered so other mesh from the spares box...

Much better methinks...

Tool brackets are from spares box or made from scrap PE....

Rear lights get some wiring - yet to add handle for doors...

.30 cal tripod brackets are remade from spare PE parts....

Tool brackets on fender along with RB Models 75mm M2 L/31 barrel....

Big improvement on the kit offering. I'm also wondering if Takom got the 37mm barrel wrong as there seems to be rather a larger step down in diameter from the large tube section? Doesn't seem to be that noticeable on the real thing. The RB offering also differs...

.30 cal co-ax is dry fitted at this stage...

Grab hadles are made from brass wire with PE padlock clasps replacing moulded on ones...

Still a long way to go, but progressing well I think...

Gary