Bergepanzer M4(a) and Tiger 1 Mid Production, sPzAbt 508, Italy 1944

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Bergepanzer M4(a) and Tiger 1 Mid Production, sPzAbt 508, Italy 1944

Post by Philipp Gross »

Got a little tired of figure painting (shame on me :oops: ) and decided to crack open yet another box for my 2nd entry.

In early 1944 the Schwere Panzerabteilung 508 found itself in posession of a number of abandoned Sherman tanks. I don't know the story behind their acquisition but I can imagine it wasn't the proudest moment of the crews that formerly drove them. Anyhow, the 508, always desperate for more recovery equipment, put some of the Shermans to good use. The war diary mentions the following:
Two converted Sherman tanks came down from Rome during the night of 24/25 May 1944 and extricated the last operational Tiger, which also had broken down in the meantime, by towing it in tandem along the railway track.
I'd love to recreate this scene, but the end result might take me a lot longer to finish than December 31st...not to mention the size of the finished diorama :shock: :?

Only a single known photo exists today:

Note that they not only removed the turret, but also closed the opening (presumably with some armour plate) and mounted the turret hatch onto it.

I'm using this excellent Asuka M4 kit: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/947261- ... uction-fay

I guess there's not much left to say about Asuka Shermans, they are about as legendary as the real tanks by now.

And here's where I am right now:

The upper hull is only dry fitted. Despite the lower hull being made up of several pieces it just snaps into place, not even Tamiya has that level of accuracy.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Bergepanzer M4(a)

Post by Vincent Power »

Nice Philipp. You've got a very interesting subject there. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks Vincent :)

Really happy with the kit so far. Lightyears ahead of any other Sherman out there.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Gonna watch this one closely. I have never build a Sherman with all early roadwheels and idlers.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

It's not that different from any other Sherman to be honest. This one seems to be a fairly early M4, thankfully most details are hidden from view. I'll give it early air filters and leave off the applique armour plates, that's about all the difference to a later M4.

I cleaned up the wheels yesterday, they had a mould seam in the middle. Hopefully I'll have the suspension completed this evening.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

All the Sherms I build (IDF) contain mixed roadwheels. Very rarely did you see a IDF Sherm with all the same roadwheels. DO you have photos of the top? Was curious if you plan to weld the turret cover or bolt it? The IDF bolted theirs for the driver training M4 and the Syrians welded the cover on their VT-34s.

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

The Brits had some early Shermans with spoked wheels in Syria...not your usual period of interest but at least it matches geographically :lol:

Sadly there's only this one photo known to exist right now, so everything not visible there is open to interpretation. I think I'll add some bolts to it (all glory to the Meng nut!) but of course it also could have been welded instead. In theory you can extract everything through the front if you remove the transmission cover, but I think the crew might have been more interested in easy access to the interior in case of a breakdown.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

I agree with the bolt plan! Not sure what the Syrians did when something went wrong up front.

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Probably "Let's get a new T-34" :lol:

Some proof that I'm in fact still working on this thing:

I want to depict this thing pulling a heavy load so I'll have the suspension sit at an angle, which is thankfully easy enough with these kits. Depending on time it might be a full Tiger or just a tow cable mysteriously disappearing at the edge of the diorama base... :roll:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Ripe for super-detailing those bogies ;)

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....