Zvezda T-35

The place to show your latest build taking place whether it be a blog or WIP.
Bryan Krueger
Senior Site Contributor.....

Zvezda T-35

Post by Bryan Krueger »

I got this kit for Christmas from the family. I'm not sure how they knew. ;) :lol:

I'm no expert on the T-35 but I think the upper plate is a bit warped. :roll:

I have a couple of hours into the kit so far and haven't made a whole lot of progress. Parts have some nice details but I've run into a few areas already that require a bit more effort to assemble. And then there is going to be all the wheels, jeezus there are a lot of wheels.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Zvezda T-35

Post by Philipp Gross »

This will be nice 8-) Be glad it's not a Tiger :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Good choice for a build Bryan. :) How will you tackle that warp? :shock: Looks pretty severe from the photo.

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Philipp Gross wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 00:26 This will be nice 8-) Be glad it's not a Tiger :lol:

Philipp
32 road wheels, two road wheels assists, a dozen idlers, idler and drive sprocket. Finally got them all done.

I’m not sure how I’m gonna go with this. Tempted to make a what if mounting a 85mm F 30 which was proposed for the T 28.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

I bit of progress over the past couple weeks.

This is my first Zvezda kit and so far I'm not that impressed. I know they have come a long way since their earlier kits. This one was released in 2016 but it still has an Eastern Express early 90s feel in the assembly. There are very few alignment features for assembly like the turret halves will have one guide pin if I'm lucky and the top hull plate more or less just sits on top with no guides (not glued yet). Where there are alignment features the fit is loose like the road wheel assemblies to the hull. Overall the detail that is there is pretty nice.

I purchased the Magic Models T-35 barrel set for the T-35. It does not fit this kit. At all. The 75mm is too short and the base of 45mm guns while closer to the Tankograd drawings are too large for the features provided. The brass barrels may have been designed for one of the older kits.

I am building this thing as a T-35 with an F-30 85mm gun. It was proposed for the T-28 but never went into production. The barrel is a spare from the Trumpeter KV-220 which had the same gun. I have sent 3D files out to be printed for a custom barrel and mantel and should get them in a few days.

The tracks are Fruil and are some of the easiest I have ever assembled and alomost no clean up. Unfortunately, they are all the same hand. A guy on FB had the same issue with his Fruils so maybe they are all like that.

I added the missing prominent lip detail around the exhaust fan shroud and the 45mm turrets. The kit barrels are "meh" but at least they fit.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Good progress so far Bryan. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Well you built this in no time. I cannot believe how wrapped those fenders are. This would have probably ended up in the trash if I was building it.

You did a great job.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Thanks Vincent and Shawn.

Despite the warp, I have been making some progress. I chopped off all the fenders and this made it much easier to glue the top plate down. I'm still trying to clean up the sides.

I decided to leave off a good portion of the fenders for a different look. Most T-35s broke down before ever getting into combat so this along with the F-30 should result in something different looking.

The barrel and mantle arrived on Saturday. A little light sanding was needed to fit the parts. The frosty end is the barrel threads. There is some build debris at the base that need to be cleaned out somehow.

A little light mod was needed to fit the barrel to the Zvezda kit. The blue tack is historically accurate. :lol:

The fenders still need a bit of work and the armor panels are just held with tape.

There is still a lot to do
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

That looks equally hilarious and amazing :lol:

You know, this just begs for a set of applique armour on the hull front and turret walls!

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

I totally agree Philipp. I found some drawings on how they decked out the T-28 turrets however, the proximity of the MG and 45mm turrets will require a unique solution so they don't foul up each other's rotation and field of fire.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage