AMT '51 Chevy "an unfinished custom"

All those non-military builds.
Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

AMT '51 Chevy "an unfinished custom"

Post by Vincent Power »

Hi everyone,
This is my latest build. Normally in a WIP blog you would expect to see a build in progress. Alas, this one is finished already but I do have an excuse, so please bear with me. ;)
Most of the time I like to research a build by combing the internet for a picture that get the juices flowing. ( No, not those kind of pictures :lol: ) In the case of the Chevy I eventually found one that I liked so I set about buying the kit. Unfortunately there wasn't a kit of the car I needed. I wanted a Chevy sedan and all I could find was a Hardtop.
Box Top.jpg
Box Top.jpg (93.45 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
Now you might think that isn't a big deal. The trouble is I don't actually like the Hardtop style. What to do then? Obviously I had to change the Hardtop into a sedan right?
Never having done anything like this before I decided to jump straight in and cut the top off. This is where the WIP blog went off the rails. I could see an issue with actually getting the chop and new roof to work so rather than fill up the PA site with more unfinished builds I starting cutting plastic without starting a blog. Sorry. :oops:
After much guesswork, I had a rudimentary sedan roof. Like so......
body work.jpg
body work.jpg (78.78 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
body work2.jpg
body work2.jpg (78.13 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
and just so you know how much work was involved for an amateur like me, take a look at this....
body work3.jpg
body work3.jpg (60.87 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
Then I started the interior.
interior start.jpg
interior start.jpg (94.4 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
The usual roughing up treatment made way for the painting
interior2.jpg
interior2.jpg (58.75 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
interior3.jpg
interior3.jpg (62.71 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
This was the stage when the kit started fighting back. Maybe it didn't like being chopped up into a sedan or something but I had a real struggle with getting everything to fit. Then there was the never ending sanding, puttying, resanding, puttying, resanding....well I'm sure you get the idea. :roll:
After all that work I looked at the body and to be honest, I didn't like it. :shock: It didn't look like a factory sedan so I left it on my bench for a couple of days unsure of what to do next. Then it came to me. :idea: All the roof chopping was something a custom car builder would most likely do. Mine then, would be an abandoned custom car, but with a twist. I would make the awkward roof into a highlight.
Behold.....my abandoned, unfinished custom car :)
finished6.jpg
finished6.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
finished4.jpg
finished4.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
finished2.jpg
finished2.jpg (66.82 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
finished3.jpg
finished3.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
So there you have it. Apologies for the long winded story. I'll send Philipp more pics for the gallery.
Thanks for looking.
Back to the bench for me :D
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: AMT '51 Chevy "an unfinished custom"

Post by Philipp Gross »

Amazing work Vincent :shock:

Have you ever considered making a suitably large workshop diorama for presenting these beauties?

Having one abandoned and overgrown in a forgotten backyard might look nice too :D

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Thanks Philipp. :)
I have pondered how I should display them and what you suggest is pretty much what I thought too. The workshop would turn out to be way too big for where I live at present but maybe in the future...who knows?

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Maybe then just a small workshop, to present a single car for taking photos?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Philipp Gross wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 08:50 Maybe then just a small workshop, to present a single car for taking photos?
Philipp
Good idea Philipp. :) I hadn't thought of building something just for taking photos. Maybe a junkyard would make a suitable base? I could swap out the car each time. Interesting. Now you have me thinking. ;)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns: