Revell 64 Impala SS

All those non-military builds.
Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Revell 64 Impala SS

Post by Vincent Power »

Here is my latest car adventure. ;) Another abandoned one of course. ;)
Revells 64 Impala is a nice kit with a few surprises for the unwary like me. However I'll put my hand up and say that any problems are most likely because of my inexperience in building cars. :oops:
Anyway, here is the obligatory Box Top pic
box top.jpg
box top.jpg (103.59 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
I bought this kit after seeing an inspirational photo while browsing the internet. I got stuck straight in and progress moved along smoothly. So smoothly in fact I forgot to take pics. :oops:
I did take an interior shot after distressing the seats etc and painting.
interior.jpg
interior.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
After forgetting to take more photos of the body being worked on, I have some of the first round of paint. I say first round because I was keen to try the Windex technique and well, it didn't work out as well as I hoped. Here is the result after my first attempt and some preliminary mapping started.
mapping.jpg
mapping.jpg (70.11 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
Rather than a smooth transition between layers I found the top colour became blotchy which I put down to too strong a mixture. I adjusted and tried different areas of the Impala. Nothing like experimenting on your model is there! :lol:
mapping2.jpg
mapping2.jpg (131.87 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
mapping3.jpg
mapping3.jpg (134.19 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
mapping4.jpg
mapping4.jpg (95.7 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
I tried a few things to fix it but I ended up just respraying specific areas of the model and starting them again. Of course it would have been good to take pics to show you but again I got a bit focused on getting the result I wanted. ;) I'll keep persisting with the Windex technique as it looks very promising going on what other modellers have done. You can compare the first effort pics to the finished result for the differences.
007.jpg
007.jpg (87.91 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
011.jpg
011.jpg (103.77 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
019.jpg
019.jpg (99.63 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
I'll send some pics to Philipp for the Gallery.
Thanks for looking. :)
Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Revell 64 Impala SS

Post by Philipp Gross »

Fantastic work as usual Vincent! Though I must insist on a blog next time :P :lol:

I have received the photos, I'll put them up this evening.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Awesome Vincent, as per Philipp, a blog particularly of your experience with the windex technique would be great :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Philipp Gross wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 12:01 Fantastic work as usual Vincent! Though I must insist on a blog next time :P :lol:

I have received the photos, I'll put them up this evening.

Philipp
Thanks Philipp. :) As far as the blog goes, I didn't think anyone would be interested in seeing a car blog, given this is a tank site primarily. If you think it's worth it I'm happy to do one for the next build. ;)

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Adam Durrant wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 19:38 Awesome Vincent, as per Philipp, a blog particularly of your experience with the windex technique would be great :D
Thanks Adam, glad you like it. :) I haven't got my head around the Windex method yet. There are so many variables to consider as you do it and my results are nowhere near what I'd like. My next build won't need that particular technique but perhaps the one after that? ;)

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Vincent Power wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 22:04 As far as the blog goes, I didn't think anyone would be interested in seeing a car blog, given this is a tank site primarily.
Ahem.

A bunch of people have forsaken us because they believe their newfound interest in other subjects collides with this website's focus. Each and every plastic modelling subject is welcome here, the whole tank business in the title is just a matter of tradition :roll:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

I for my part even build the occasional Master Grade Gundam 1:100 kit... and if I was nuts enough I'd really love to build 1:350 ships, pre-dreadnoughts and generation one to three dreadnoughts (that's the "super-dreadnoughts" of the immediate pre-war and early interbellum) before most of them got replaced or redesignated as fast battleships or just BBs.

I know I'm currently mostly away and thus my word carries not all that much weight, but let me assure you,. each and every kind of kit is welcome and we (excluding me since I haven't been reacting on anything for the past quarter of a year....-_- :roll: :oops: ) usually react positively on something new and /or obscure :mrgreen: !

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz, he of the seldom seen presence... :oops:
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Thank you Gentlemen, points well made and noted. :P :lol:

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 22:14
Vincent Power wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 22:04 As far as the blog goes, I didn't think anyone would be interested in seeing a car blog, given this is a tank site primarily.
Ahem.

A bunch of people have forsaken us because they believe their newfound interest in other subjects collides with this website's focus. Each and every plastic modelling subject is welcome here, the whole tank business in the title is just a matter of tradition :roll:

Philipp
Got to agree with the above, all of the techniques you use in your distressed car builds can be used in a distressed tank build! I’m particularly interested in how you distress the upholstery. :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

[...] all of the techniques you use in your distressed car builds can be used in a distressed tank build!
Not even necessarily AFVs - I have several honest to gods un-armoured flimsy cars here, staff cars, Kübel and all that which also would like to be treated properly ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns: